Remember these few facts when using public WiFi networks:
- When you connect to a Wi-Fi network, identify that it is a 'public' network type if prompted.
- Make sure you're not sharing folders or devices with others on the network.
- Install a reputable virtual private network (VPN) solution on your device.
If you can't connect securely, avoid:
- Online banking or shopping
- Sending confidential emails
- Entering passwords or credit card details unless you're using a secure website.
If you must make a sensitive transaction, only use secure websites that have:
- https:// instead of http:// at the start of the address;
- A locked padlock or key in the browser website address bar.
But remember, no public Wi-Fi is 100% secure, so consider using your own mobile data for any sensitive transactions.