Keeping the software on your phone, tablet and computer up-to-date is one of the best and easiest ways to protect them from being hacked.
Don’t delay the installation of software updates. The longer you put off an update, the more time the cybercriminal has to find and use the weaknesses.
Most modern software and applications update automatically, but make sure you agree to install updates when prompted. The common software to keep updated are:
- operating systems, for example Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android
- antivirus and security software
- browsers, for example Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome
- web plugins, for example Adobe Flash, Reader, Skype, Apple Quicktime, iTunes, Java, ActiveX
- other types of applications, for example Microsoft Office.
When you purchase a new device, check for updates straight away as part of initial set up, ensuring you enable automatic updates.
Set your devices to update automatically. Learn more https://www.staysmartonline.gov.au/protect-yourself/protect-your-stuff/software-updates