"Your password can ruin your life. I know that sounds dramatic, but it’s true. If someone figures out the password to your email, you’re in trouble. Social media? Even worse. Once hackers access your online bank account, they can wreck your finances, and you may feel the repercussions of that break-in for years." www.usatoday.com
The worst passwords of 2018 show the need for better practices according to SplashData’s yearly report. The list also includes clangers such as “qwerty”, “iloveyou”, the imaginative “football” and no doubt, many pet names.
Here’s the top 20:
Housten, we have a password problem. Too often we hear of people having their personal information accessed because they didn't think having a strong and secure password was really that big of a deal.
It doesn't have to be some crazy password like G$%n8!KI&. Of course you shouldn't have a password like p@assword1 but your password needs to be logical and easy to remember.
Here are some tips on what you can do to create a password that will be secure:
- Using a passphrase is a great idea. Say you wanted to be a doctor and your favourite colour is green. Even though it seems so trivial, it can be used as a password like "ilike greendoctors".
- Have a long password. Many try just using the bare minimum requirement of using eight characters. The longer you stretch it out the stronger it becomes. Make sure it is still easy to remember but hard to crack.
- Try something memorable that has enough meaning to stay in your mind. This avoids the temptation to write passwords down.
- Your password should withstand 100 guesses. Passwords should not be tied to any public information about you or your family. Some things you just shouldn't share online.
- Be creative with characters. An example could be using a passphrase and adding characters like, "ilovemyjob999%Somedays!". It uses more than 8 characters, has letters, numbers, a capital and a special character.
- So you have done the above and a cyber criminal has since managed to get through, but with two-factor identification used it can stop them in their tracks.
Still stuck for ideas? Our random generator can help you with choosing a strong and secure password.