Many Australians are spending more time shopping online as the festive season approaches. The Australian Signals Directorate’s Australian Cyber Security Centre is encouraging you to be cyber safe this festive season and shop online securely by following the following simple steps:
- shop using secure devices
- protect your payment information and accounts
- use trusted sellers
- use secure payment methods
- be alert to fake delivery scams.
By following these simple steps, you can significantly minimise the risk of cyber threats while shopping online.
More information about secure online shopping is available on cyber.gov.au, including step-by-step guidance to shop online securely and resources to help you if you’ve been impacted by a cyber threat while shopping online.
What you can do
Read our step-by-step advice on the 5 steps for secure online shopping on cyber.gov.au and share the advice with your family and friends.
Follow our advice on how to recognise a fake website or scammer while you are shopping online and on what to do [After%20you've%20made%20a%20purchase]after you've made an online purchase.
Access resources on cyber.gov.au
- Do you know how to shop securely online? Take our 2-minute quiz to assess your online shopping habits.
- Download our step-by-step secure online shopping checklist to follow when shopping online.
- Know how to stay secure while you are shopping
- Find out what to do after you've made a purchase
- Discover what to do if things go wrong and you’ve been impacted by a cybercrime.